1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Care and Maintenance of laptops

Discussion in 'Electronics' started by sweetcheeks, Dec 7, 2015.

1. sweetcheeks

sweetcheeks Member

To keep your laptop functioning properly, it is important to take care of it the right way. If you are able to do this, your laptop will need less maintenance and it will last longer.

You should take proper care of your laptops in the following ways:

1. Don’t put liquid close to your laptops while working so as to avoid it spilling on the laptop. If you want to have a drink, it is better to get up to go and take your drink before resuming your work again. Alternatively, get a cup that has a cover to pour your drink in, if you will like to have a drink while working, so that even if the cup accidentally falls down, the drink in it won’t spill onto your laptop and spoil it. Liquid can lead to electrical damage or spoil the internal components of your laptop.

2. Don’t eat while working on the laptop as food crumbs can fall into in between the key pads and can damage the internal workings of the laptop.

3. Keep your laptop battery cool as the lithium batteries in the laptops of today wear out. Therefore keep it away from heat to increase its lifespan. Don't leave your laptop in the car as the high temperature inside the car can damage it. Also, make sure you use it in a well-ventilated room to prevent it from overheating.

4. Clean your laptop regularly as it harbors dirt easily and dust tends to accumulate on it fast. Therefore, endeavor to clean it once in a while to keep it clean.

5. Run updates on your laptop and make sure that the software installed on it are up to date, the chance of security exploits will be reduced.

6. Have antivirus software installed on your laptop to protect it against virus to avoid software problems or slowing down your system.

7. Carry your laptop by the base and not the LCD display screen. Doing this will ensure the screen is not damaged by scratches or pressure from the hand.

8. Plug all your laptop accessories into the proper place. If the accessories are put in the wrong slots, it can cause damages to it.

9. Heavy objects should not be placed on the laptop. This can push the screen onto the keyboard and spoil it and also damage the CD-ROM.

10. When you need to take your laptop out, carry it in a laptop bag so that if you accidentally drop it or hit it against something, the bag will help to reduce the risk of it getting damaged.

11. When in use, put your laptop on a flat surface. Don't use your laptop on the bed to prevent it from sucking up debris and dust which can block its fan.

Good laptops are expensive, if you handle your laptop with care, wear and tear can be avoided on it and you won’t need to keep spending money on repairing your laptop at all times or saving up to buy a new one.

2. danielle davidson

danielle davidson Member

These are all good tips. I know that I spent a lot of money on my laptop, which is why I try my hardest to do some of the things on this list. And some I didn't even know about, but I'm totally going to do.