1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Google Analytics 105: Filter-out the Internal Traffic

Discussion in 'Webmasters' started by OJaderogbin, Jun 15, 2016.

1. OJaderogbin

OJaderogbin Member

So you have a website and you know you can use Google Analytics to monitor the traffic your website gets...well that's basic! In fact so basic.

Analytics can do a whole lot more. Monitoring the behaviors of your visitors on your website, where they go to on the site, how long they spend, if they click through or bounce...etc, a whole lot.

But one thing that can mess things up for you is internal traffic! Especially if you have employees or agencies that work with you on the website. What you need is not everybody that visits the website, but everybody that visits the website from outside...those are the actual visitors. Not people on your pay role! You can't get the best picture of your site activity until you exclude internal traffic, i.e you make sure Analytics does not add internal traffic to the report. Internal traffic includes all those who visit your website from within your organization.

You can use a filter to filter out traffic by IP address. Find the public IP address you are currently using by searching "what is my ip address" on google.

Now create an IP address filter:

Leave the Filter Type as Predefined.
    Click the Select filter type drop-down menu and select Exclude.
    Click the Select source or destination drop-down menu and select traffic from the IP addresses.
    Click the Select expression drop-down menu and select the appropriate expression.
    Enter the IP address and Save

With this implemented; you will get a more realistic view of how your website is performing. To verify the status of this process, use Google Tag Manager to check if it is well implemented on your site.

Thank me later.
    OJ.