1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Test, Train and Test before Relying on your Dog.

Discussion in 'Pets' started by Oluomoadebayo, Aug 25, 2016.

1. Oluomoadebayo

Oluomoadebayo Moderator Staff Member

I have seen countless of people like the man in this video. The most common mistake is, people believe in their dog to protect them, just because the dog is showing signs of aggression. No matter how aggressive your dog seems to be, test your dog in real life situation before risking your family's life on a weak dog.

Below is a video of a man thinking he has a beast of a dog. Enjoy!

Last edited: Jun 16, 2017
    Stefan likes this.
  2. Stefan

Stefan Member Staff Member

Wow! I love this.
    As I like to distinguish and define drives separately, I'll say they're dealing with a dog with defense drive here. But who lacks fight drive and hardiness. I hope I'm right?

They now gave us a second dog with overall hardiness, fight and defense aggression. Unfortunately, it's a Malinois. People without information will think it means a Malinois is better than a German Shepherd Dog:(:mad:

3. Oluomoadebayo

What is a defense when you can't fight? Malinois is the king of working dogs nowadays and you can't argue that based on the fact that every law enforcement is switching to the breed. More politics are in German Shepherd world and there is only one rule on the street, kill or be killed.

Stefan likes this.
  4. Oluomoadebayo

Every dog was bred for a purpose, you can't give what you don't have. Most dogs will show signs of aggression and the owner will think he has a monster dog. I agree this particular dog is weak but it's his owner's fault for exposing the dog to what he isn't capable of doing. Test,train and test!

Stefan likes this.
  5. Stefan

Exactly! I completely agree.
    Have you see the ongoing sieger show? It's more reason to see the disgrace to the modern day German Shepherd Dog. Those dogs are bad in so many grounds. A direct son of their so called 3xW who can't bite and hold a sleeve.
    Weak nerved dogs

6. Oluomoadebayo

Siger show, where can I find it?
    Holding on to a sleeve sometimes is down to the development of the dog, it doesn't mean the dog is weak, though.

7. Stefan

In this dog's case, I don't think so. This is a dog already holding an IPO3 title. I can only imagine how he got such title.
    Seeing is believing:

8. Oluomoadebayo

IPO has lost it's glory. I follow only the ringsport this days.

Stefan likes this.
  9. Stefan

Exactly! I heard French ring is one of the hardest.
    But Do you think we can at least copy some of the tough work put in to the dogs in ring sports? Just to be sure our dogs possess some handiness.

Oluomoadebayo likes this.
  10. Oluomoadebayo

Belgian Ring is the toughest and hardest for me. I love the NVBK dogs.

Stefan likes this.
  11. Stefan

Couple of show breeders/enthusiasts in an African German Shepherd Dog forum I belong to gave references to past show dogs who failed the TSB one year but pass in subsequent years. They said the dogs are simply not used to new environment with crowd, thus they became shy.

Imagine! These are dogs with IPO3 title,i wonder how they got it.
    Before a dog can compete for a SchH1 or IPO1, it must pass a temperament test called a B or BH ( Begleithundpr├╝fung , which translates as "traffic-sure companion dog test"). The B tests obedience and sureness around strange people, strange dogs, traffic, and loud noises. A dog that exhibits excessive fear, distractibility, or aggression cannot pass the B and so cannot go on to schutzhund.

That's one of the reasons the Malinois keeps kinging today as the god of working dogs. Confident dogs in all situations.

This is what captain Stephanitz the Creator of the breed said:
    "Such shy animals are in all circumstances an encumbrance to their owner, who must be ashamed of such a dog, and a disgrace to their race. Under no circumstances whatever must they be used for breeding, however noble and striking they may appear outwardly." ---Max von Stephanitz, The German Shepherd Dog in Word and Picture (1925)

12. Oluomoadebayo

Working dogs can be shy if not exposed enough to the said stimuli but how the hell will a dog compete without passing through the basics.

Stefan likes this.
  13. Oluomoadebayo

14. Gertn

Gertn Active Member

15. Stefan

Yes,exactly my thought when I saw the video. The pressure on the dogs were too much, that's why it's good to have someone with the right understanding to TEST one's dog. The last dog should be rewarded like you said truly, at a point he stood his ground. But ex when pressure heightened, and I'm guessing that it's because he probably have never been stimulated in any way before.
    If that dog was praised after the first bite and leashed, they would have built invincibility.

16. Oluomoadebayo

There is different between testing and training @Stefan. Take, for example, I want to buy a dog and you escalate the price because he is such a monster. I agreed to buy the dog but after testing, I will pay. What do you think I will do to make sure I'm getting a solid dog?

17. Gertn

Gertn Active Member

I can't argue anything about dog with you because you know better than me but the message has been sent already, why still punishing the dog by chasing?

18. Oluomoadebayo

Isn't it better to ruin a dog than to get killed when your dog fails to protect you?

19. Stefan

You're right, I agree! When seller or owner is making certain boastful claims, then it's necessary to put such dog into rigorous tests. Like the one you posted sometimes ago who wants to enrol his GSD with the police cos he thought it's a monster.

But I'm only viewing this present video on a basis of an ordinary owner trying to test his dog to know where it needs improvement in training and most importantly its genes.
    If such is the case in My Opinion, I think the last dog should be given a chance. He needs further opportunities which those first and second don't.

20. Stefan

:D:D