1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

World Music day: Evaluating the Music Industry

Discussion in 'Television & Radio' started by Osas Jacob, Jun 21, 2017.

1. Osas Jacob

Osas Jacob Member

For centuries, music has been a medium to relax and soothe the soul. Over the years, various forms of modernization have been applied to the Music industry with it being split to genres such as hip hop, rap, soul, R & B, country and many more.

World Music Day was set aside to celebrate the music that we love. Sadly, in recent times, music has evolved to a very displeasing level. Only few artistes are really giving music that has good beats and sound lyrical contents. Let's take a look at the Nigerian music scene. To be honest, it is filled with a lot of musicians that sing mostly gibberish. Lyrical content is very poor, what really makes the music is the beat which the youths cling to. Personally, i have been quite disappointed in the quality of music produced in Nigeria. They all border on the physical attributes of women, money and alcohol/drugs. Nigerian artistes mostly make music that centers on shaming their enemies or how much they are in love with a woman's backside or how they have so much money. It is really appalling, to be honest. Examining the music videos brings up another moment of head shaking. Women have been objectified as sex objects as they are portrayed wearing skimpy clothing and dancing seductively.

The foreign music scene compared to the Nigerian one is much better but they have their woes as well. Rap music is not as top notch as it was few years back. However, after examining the music industry on the World Music day, you can't deny the fact that they are doing all these because that is what sells now. This is the kind of music that people appreciate and they do that to get their money after all. I would urge us to make these artistes examine their lyrical content so that they produce music that really does soothe the body without the lyrics being vulgar or the videos damaging our eyes, so to speak.

2. Gertn

Gertn Active Member

My favourite genre is rap but no one does it like 2PAC anymore. Even 50, is all about making money now. Good music is in the Empire show,though.

3. Osas Jacob

Osas Jacob Member

I don't watch the show though. Music just keeps degenerating...

4. Oluomoadebayo

Oluomoadebayo Moderator Staff Member

Empire is cool. I love the show as well.